46 years of Star apprentices

2e090a97-a23e-4dbb-a2bf-1244325f6762

Published: 05 March 2019


Picture
Tom Woolston of Star Refrigeration was named ACR Trainee of the Year in 2018
Star Refrigeration has highlighted its support for National Apprenticeship Week and Scottish Apprenticeship Week.

Star's own scheme has been running since 1973 and 9% of the company's total workforce are apprentices. In addition, almost a quarter of the current management team initially joined as an apprentice.
The engineering apprenticeship scheme offered by Star is 80% work-based learning, with the remaining 20% spent at college. The four-year course aims to prepare apprentices for a long and stable career in the industry, and 99% of students are offered permanent positions on completion of their training.
 
Dave Bartlett, operations training manager, said, “We are proud to deliver one of the most successful apprenticeship schemes for aspiring engineers in the UK. For 46 years Star has understood the importance of apprentices, and as a result the company has benefitted significantly while offering exceptional opportunities for young people. Apprenticeships are a fantastic way to start a career and as such are increasing in popularity – National Apprenticeship Week and Scottish Apprenticeship Week are a great opportunity to find out more.”
 
Sam Gills, an apprentice engineer based in Newcastle, won the ACR Trainee of the Year award in 2017 and last year received the bronze medal award at the WorldSkills UK competition. Tom Woolston who joined Star as an apprentice in Bristol, won a silver prize for Student of the Year at the RAC Cooling Awards, and then received the ACR Trainee of the Year accolade in 2018.
 
Throughout the week, Star Refrigeration will be promoting the benefits apprentices across all nine UK branches bring to the business. From refrigeration engineering to business administration apprentices, from project management to manufacturing apprentices, stories will be shared across the business' social media platforms.
 
Dave Bartlett added: “As employers it’s imperative that we see the potential and value in our young people. Our vision is to secure a better, sustainable future and to do that we need dedicated, hard working apprentices to be the next leaders.”
 
To find out more about the Star Refrigeration apprentice scheme, click here.